Blog
Chudah"s Corner

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Origins...

Some may call me fangirlish in my love for the Silent Hill series, but I think of myself as passionate. I'd like to thank Mr. Yamaoka for much of my enthusiasm for the series. Even though it's had its low points (ahem....Silent Hill 4), he has never failed to use his vivid imagination to create jarring, terrifying and beautiful compositions that I have yet to hear replicated in any other soundtrack, be it game or movie. But when word came down that the series was making the jump to a handheld game system, I couldn't help but be skeptical of the transition. I mean, how could one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had in videogaming be the same on a 4 inch screen? And what about the score? Could the PSP handle the music and game sounds from a technical standpoint? Oh sure, it probably would sound OK, but would it sound real enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up once again?

It took me 6 hours (probably more like 8 taking into account deaths and all the time in my mini-map) to finish Silent Hill Origins, and I have to say my skepticism was unfounded....but not completely. Despite the amazing graphics (easily some of the best for the system), the gameplay can be clunky at parts, and the story is quite predictable and a little too similar to SH2's narrative structure. But the music? Yes, the music...

Yamaoka did the best with what he was given, and it turned out pretty damn good. The music IS very Silent Hill, and you can hear some of the past games in these pieces (especially SH3), but the score itself has it's own feel to it and blends in relatively well with the environments. There were plenty of times when I'd walk through a door and the music would queue up, my heart would immediately start racing. It's awesome to have that feeling again! I did find myself missing the use of real instruments (most of the sounds here are clearly synthesized), but they worked well enough.

As for the vocals, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn returns with her earthy, soulful voice and does a fine job once again. While I can't say the songs are as memorable as previous ones, they're still a highlight of the soundtrack. Hopefully, once the original soundtrack is released, I can give them more of a chance to grow on me, but there's definitely potential. One thing that I found kinda neat was that the lyrics seemed to fit the game a bit better than previous songs (i.e. You're Not Here).

I have to say my biggest gripe is the fact that the music was used almost too often during gameplay. I have so many memories of walking through a dark corridor, my footsteps the only thing to be heard...and then stopping in my tracks as I catch a faint noise in the shadows. I strain my ears to try to catch it again, and then wonder if something really is there or if it was all in my mind. In Origins, there aren't too many of these moments. Most of the time the music plays continuously throughout certain areas almost to the point that it becomes annoying. So now I'm straining to hear where that monster is because the music is playing too loud to focus in on it. I guess I could've just turned the music down and SFX up, but then I would be missing out on one of my favorite parts of these games! ARGH!! Anyhow, if I had to put a point on it, I'm guessing the limitations of the system are likely to blame, but I still feel the dynamic nature of these scores is part of what makes them so enjoyable.

Despite being a little disappointed with its implementation, I am quite pleased with Origins' score. That said, I am now eagerly awaiting the soundtrack release in January. I have a feeling given a little quality playtime outside of the game (and listening to the vocals closer), I'll be able cement its entry on my favorite soundtracks list. One thing is for sure, though....I'm really looking forward to Silent Hill V now. ;)

No comments: