Blog
Chudah"s Corner

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Never, ever trust popular opinion, seriously.

In my time as a fan of video game music, I have to say that one of the most universally maligned soundtracks I've ever come across is the one belonging to Marvel vs Capcom 2. I mean, the fact that the soundtrack is frequently modded by its players should say enough by itself, nevermind the fact that people put stuff like The Sound Of Music in there.

Either way, MvC2 is one of my favorite Capcom soundtracks, but everyone I run into says it just doesn't "fit the feel of the game". For now, I'll choose to ignore the fact that most people who say that don't even know how to play the game, but I also have to mention that they always go and cite the Marvel vs Capcom soundtrack in contrast as being much better. Now that I've actually played that god-forsaken game (I don't even want to HEAR Wolverine's infinite ever again), my only reaction is...

"People pass up MvC2's music for this?"

I have no clue what it is. Maybe people get way too hung up on MvC2's admittedly annoying character select music. Maybe people are just too attuned to melody-driven music to give anything else a shot. Whatever it is, I don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you mean the Beserker Rage, Wolverine doesn't have a practical MvC infinite. Just mad rushing patterns and combos.

It's not the music per se, but the lack of character themes that kill it for me. MvC is a rush because you're hit with multiple themes (all of which I love on their own) and they change when a character dies, indicating a momentum shift (enhanced by the get-to-the-point nature of all the themes, which is exactly how I like my fighting game themes to begin with). MvC 2, the music is almost entirely indifferent to what's onscreen and just kind of...drones. If they're not going to switch up themes, I might as well go with a custom and put random music I actually like in there. I like the carnival stage (it might have made a good theme for Sonson), but that's about it.