Blog
Chudah"s Corner

Friday, January 18, 2008

Castlevania!

I've been bitten buy the Castlevania bug recently... it all started when I picked up a copy of Akumajo Dracula Best last month and has continued into this month with the purchase of Best 2 and a Lament of Innocence Sampler.

The Lament of Innocence Sampler may seem like an odd purchase, especially considering the soundtrack was in my possession early last year but with two discs it seemed heavy with material/tracks I really didn't want - especially the second disc. The sampler contains the majority of the compositions I found enjoyable - if "Statue Enchanted by the Darkness" was there it be prefect but 7 out of 8 isn't bad at all. I don't want the whole soundtrack again but want to have access to certain tracks like "Melancholy Joachim," the main stage themes and "Lament of Innocence (Leon's Theme)." In this case the sampler will do just fine.

This brings us to the other soundtrack with which Lament shares space on the sampler: Symphony of the Night. Now, don't get me wrong - Nocturne has a great score and it really stood out to me when first playing the game years ago but I can't help but feel like some off the allure has dulled over the years. Thinking about it on a deeper level, the vast array of styles presented is often seen as one of the soundtracks strengths' but now seems to be somewhat of a weakness. I don't know... the right mood has to strike to listen to it and that isn't as often as one would expect.

The recently released soundtrack for the Dracula X Chronicles is more or less in the same boat. What is presented is enjoyable but those endless questions of if the appeal meant to last or if it's only a personal fad is a tad irksome. Still, all is well as the score for Super Castlevania IV has me in its dark and moody clutches. Can't. Stop. Listening. A new personal favorite if anything and even the gameboy scores from Best 2 are starting to sink into my subconscious - damn you "New Messiah (Glass Castle BGM)!"

Regardless, the fight against the legions of darkness is one hell of an auditory ride! Definately need to check out some more scores.

No comments: